Monday, July 16, 2012

Mavis: Rain? Yes please.

I moved to a new place about... hmmm... 8 months ago. It's not entirely new (I lived in a city nearby a handful of years ago) and it's in my home state. But it's new to me in a very exciting way that has me constantly hovering over the television and interwebs... and that is because of its interesting weather phenomena.

I don't know what happened to my interests as far as the journey from what they used to be (drink specials, cigarette prices, celebrity gossip) to what they are now (drink specials, politics, weather, and celebrity gossip), but regardless of what they happen to be on a given day, they require my commitment and passion. My friends have much more interesting and compelling interests than I do as a general rule, but the one thing that I do have in abundance is gusto. And on a daily basis, I set my sights set firmly on the local weather and I feast. For at least 15 minutes or until someone starts talking about Suri Cruise and then I'm instantly distracted, like a dog watching cars in traffic.

I rely on a number of sources to receive my meteorological data. First and foremost is Al Roker of course. Second to that is my local weatherman, who despite his age and general lack of enthusiasm, is frequently reliable with his reports. Finally, the interwebs. Weather.com of course, but I also occasionally partake of the random amateur who may happen to blog about clouds and weather systems that will likely affect my area. I am fascinated by the weather and nearly every day without fail, I awake to the hope of rain. I have become obsessed with rain. Not this kind of rain...


but THIS kind of rain:


I like my weather nice and severe. Let's not mess around with the pithy drizzles; let's bring on the real stuff... the hard stuff. The winds, the hail, the floods... all of it. I mean, I want my weather to bring its A-game every time otherwise I'd just prefer that it stay pleasant (read: BORING) outside and not tease me.

I'm a bit disappointed today. All of the reports I read earlier discussed at length the extreme heat (boring) but also the high likelihood of intense storms because of the humidity. So far nothing. This is very disappointing indeed.



No comments:

Post a Comment